RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
For The Win - Cory Doctorow I'm in the middle of an epic Doctorow binge right now. Along the way I've been collecting my thoughts about all the books, and when I'm finally done I will write some proper reviews. In the meantime, I'll tell you the most important thing you need to know: It is not possible to read a Doctorow book without learning something. For those who claim otherwise, you sir, are a liar. The topics are so wide and varied too: technology, social movements, unions, economics, hedge funds, security, business, literature, history, journalism, geography........ I even learned how to pick a lock FFS!The other thing you need to know: This book actually made me cry - and that very rarely happens. I spent the last 25% of the book on the edge of my seat, my heart pounding for these brave young characters. For me, the characters in this book were highly relatable despite being from a range of different cultures and places.For most of the book, there was a blurb before each chapter recommending particularly good book shops that Doctorow wanted to support. It's a fine idea, but it did mess with the structure and took me out of the moment quite often. I think Doctorow's writing gets better with each book, but he could structure the books a bit more tightly still.Now to go donate some copies of this to some local libraries...