RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
Life As We Knew It - Susan Beth Pfeffer What's really great about this book is that it's so easy to fly through it. It is actually very hard to put down, not because it is suspenseful and action-packed, but something about it (possibly the clean and easy writing style) just makes for a satisfying read. I think of this book as "Grapes of Wrath LITE". It has that same sense of an ordinary family, slowly disintegrating as they try to stave off death by whatever means necessary.I'm not entirely sure I found the teenage voice to be entirely authentic, but that could be because I was acutely aware of the age of the author, or it could even be a cultural thing, myself not having been an American teen. It certainly wasn't jarring at all, I just wondered if perhaps the character was a little too mature in places. The fact that the book is written like a diary also contributes - if a teenager can't be immature in her own diary, where can she be?It was interesting that the book focussed on the best possible survival scenario rather then on the worst, or the most dramatic. In fact, there was a distinct lack of drama throughout, which did feel a little disappointing. It did however lead to something unexpected: For the first time in a post-apocalyptic book, I actually thought about whether I should start stocking up on supplies myself! This never happens, but in reading this book you realise: If this could happen to the most well-prepared, sensible and lucky family in the world..... what hope have I got?!It is a very good, very entertaining read, and I recommend it to anyone. I would have given this 3.5 stars if possible.