RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness I'm not going to waste too much time reviewing this one. I'd much rather just get on to the next book, and forget I ever read this one. Here are the headlines:* The boy is annoying. I don't care how he was raised, he's painfully slow to learn from his mistakes, and just plain ANNOYING. The only saving grace was the dog, and he doesn't make it.* How many times can a writer credibly dangle The Big Reveal in front of an audience, and then snatch it away again with the arrival of an unlikely interruption on horseback? I don't know, but not THIS many.* The main point the writer was trying to make didn't come through very well. The central message was convoluted, contradictory and far too contrived. And that's three "cons" just off the top of my head.* Creating a surprise cliffhanger at the last moment and ending the book without some sort of resolution is always disrespectful to readers. There will be some readers that will rush out to get the next book, but they won't be the readers with an ounce of self-respect. Thankfully, I didn't care enough about the story for this to bother me. In fact, I even have the next book sitting on my shelf (purchased months ago) and am wilfully not reading it. So if anyone wants a copy (maybe for a small child, a mildly senile relative or someone with less discriminating tastes), I'll be happy to send you mine.