RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
People Live Still in Cashtown Corners - Tony Burgess, Erik Mohr I love that Burgess can show you the inside of a broken brain in a believable, instinctively understandable way. Of course this meant I spent half the book wondering if the act of understanding the book equated with being a sociopath myself. So that was.... creepy.But while Cashtown has the intelligence of Pontypool and Idaho Winter, for me it just doesn't have the beauty or the heart. I raced through this book in a day without highlighting anything, re-reading anything or gasping out loud. Maybe I'm expecting too much, and Pontypool has ruined me for other books. Yes, that's probably it. One issue I had with the book was the faux crime scene photographs in the centre of the book. Their placement in the middle of the story interrupted a key scene and created spoilers. Also, one of the photos referred to one character by another character's name, which added an extra element of confusion. There is a nice plot twist towards the end which keeps you thinking, and which adds an extra dollop of creepiness. To be fair, Cashtown is a good, creepy little book..... it's just not Pontypool.FYI - The text floating around which implies that Cashtown is based on the true story of "infamous couple killer Cliff Klyder" is a red herring. There doesn't appear to be any such serial killer. This claim also doesn't appear on the book itself, but only in synopses which seem to have been mirrored on the GoodReads entry.