RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
Perdido Street Station  - China Miéville Honestly, I don't even know where to start with this review. I really don't even want to write it, because every minute spent doing this is time spent away from the world of Bas-Lag. Mieville's world-building is astonishingly good and very easy to become instantly immersed in.For once, the comparisons to other writers are spot-on. There are parts of this book that are not only like Mervyn Peake, but could have easily been written by Peake himself. The vivid surreal imagery, and urban decay....sigh. I was there.You can also clearly see elements of Lovecraft, Orwell, Pratchett/Gaiman, shades of Justin Cronin's "The Passage", even a nod to Raymond Feist.If I had to find fault with the book, it would be the late introduction of new characters and elements to the storyline. I think after about the 75% mark, new characters tend to give the appearance of an impending deus ex machina. That said, Mieville does manage to integrate the new additions into the story quickly and seamlessly, and ends the book well. No deus ex machina, no sudden cliffhanger.The quality of the Mieville's writing is superb. I love the way he uses Yagharek's poetic style of narrative to bracket each section of the book. It's just. So. Fucking. Beautiful. Now go away and let me move on to the next book. I'm coming, Bas-Laaaaaaag.......