RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
The Scar  - China Miéville When I started this book, I didn't expect to love it in the way that I loved Perdido Street Station. I was right. They are two very different books. Where Perdido.. was one fantastic, magical surprise after another, The Scar has more subtle depths. And for that, I think I love The Scar even more.Scars are not injuries, Tanner Sack. A scar is a healing. After an injury, a scar is what makes you whole.In The Scar, Miéville takes the idea of the scar and mines it for every possible metaphor and meaning. From the concept of scars as wounds and ultimately healing, through scars as pacts and loss of self, the scar as portal and transformation, to ultimately scars as personal history, identity and remembrance. Again and again, the theme of scars was raised, explored and taken in a different direction.In time, in time they tell me, I'll not feel so bad. I don't want time to heal me. There's a reason I'm like this.I want time to set me ugly and knotted with loss of you, marking me. I won't smooth you away.I can't say goodbye. Truth is another of the book's key themes. For many of us, the truth is something we have to know, to search for and understand. But what if the truth is irrelevant, or something better left unknown, or worse still... What if there is no truth? Whoa! I know, right?'There is no IT, Bellis,' he said. 'Go away.' He lay down and gazed at the ceiling. 'Go away. I wanted to get home, and you were useful. You know what I did, and you know why. There’s no mystery, no resolution to be had. Go away.'Beyond that, the book explores recurring themes of personal action and inaction, loyalty, possibility, obsession and home. Miéville gives you a lot to think about in this book, long after you've closed the last page. Many of the key themes are explored via the book's central character, Bellis Coldwine. She is a complex, flawed and deeply reflective character, whose strength of conviction is both her greatest asset and her biggest weakness. I saw more than a little of myself in Bellis, and I can't help but wonder how much of that is because she is so well written that it is easy for anyone to see a part of themselves in her. Or maybe I just have some issues to work through..And then, of course, there's Armada. How could anyone NOT fall in love with a floating city, patched together from derelict ships and filled with species of people of every kind? As in Perdido.., His Chinaness has created a vividly detailed, magical, but throughly believable city that I was more than happy to immerse myself in. As in the last book, the writing is gorgeous, the structure impeccable and I gave google a good thrashing with words like, "bathypelagicrafts". The book is as near to perfect as I can imagine. Seriously, I cannot think of a single thing I would change. That NEVER happens. If you haven't read this book, you need to.