RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green The Fault In Our Stars is a young adult novel about teens with cancer. Sounds grim, right? But actually, not so much. Green's characters are warm and funny and matter-of-fact about their illnesses. The book manages to explore some of the dilemmas faced by teens with terminal illness - How much can you really lean on your parents when they're facing their worst nightmare too? Why would you bother going to school? What about relationships? - without plunging the reader into tragic despair. In fact, there are some truly funny moments scattered throughout. This is a feat in itself.That said, not a lot actually happens in the book. In a way it feels as if it really doesn't go anywhere. I know nobody expects a happy ending from teens with cancer, and I'm pleased that Green avoids the cliches, but......I just......wanted......something.... more. Okay, that wasn't very helpful feedback. But I really don't know what would have been a good direction to take the story to make it more fulfilling. This is why I'm not a writer, I suppose.I do have one specific pet peeve with the book: The voices were far too witty and sophisticated for the age of the characters. This seems to be a common issue with books in the YA genre. They're either overly childlike and simplistic or they're adults in teens clothing.Other than this, it was a good read, and there were some really poignant moments there. It just didn't blow me away.[Full Disclosure: I received a free review copy from the publisher via NetGalley]