RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn I really enjoyed this novel, despite not being a fan of murder/mystery novels as a general rule. What makes this book special is the way the characters are written. They are complex, flawed and utterly believable. Everybody knows somebody like each of the main characters, Nick and Amy - all the more creepy when you discover that at least one of them is a psychopath! The book really seems to divide itself into two parts - the first half which is character-based, much of it diary-style, and the second half which is the nitty-gritty-whodunnity-bit. I was less enamoured of the second half, particularly since some of the fine detail didn't quite make logical sense. I had seen some of the plot twists coming, but I have to wonder how much of that was due to being aware that there was something unexpected to expect. If you know what I mean.The first half of the book was really engrossing though. I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed this character-based exploration of a relationship. It was a teensy bit Bridget-Jonesy in places, but I can see the reason for that. I can't say much more about the novel without giving something away, but I'd recommend it to a wide audience, even those who (like myself) aren't particularly interested in either relationship drama or murder/mystery. Oh, and I want to go on record as saying I wanted to stab Nick all the way through. Go Team AMY!