RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith
Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere: Three Novels - Mykle Hansen Wikipedia currently defines "Bizarro" as, "a contemporary literary genre, which often uses elements of absurdism, satire, and the grotesque, along with pop-surrealism and genre fiction staples, in order to create subversive works that are as weird and entertaining as possible." This makes bizarro sound awesome. Nowhere is it mandated that a bizarro writer has to be too lazy to proof-read or properly edit. There is no rule to prevent the writer from taking the time to develop their wonderful and bizarre ideas, using their cynicism, irony and wit, and crafting them into something that reads well and makes it point clearly. Yet this seems to be the prevailing attitude of bizarro writers - that they're too cool to edit or refine their work. I get it - it's all very punk to just dash something off and say "fuck you" to the literary establishment. Unfortunately it just reads as a "fuck you" to the person who has just paid to read it.It IS a little unfair to blame Mykle Hansen in particular, for the shortcomings of bizarro as a genre. This collection of three short stories is not the worst bizarro I have ever read, by ANY stretch of the imagination. In fact, (and I think this is what pisses me off the most), the second story (Journey To The Centre of Agnes Cuddlebottom) is actually rather good. There is wit and irony and a story arc and social commentary and all the things that go into a good story. It even appears to have been proof-read. But the first story (Monster Cocks).... forget about it. Just don't even. Unreadable, unedited, a pointless teenage boy's wet dream dressed up with a few half-arsed attempts at social satire. The third story (Crazy Shitting Planet) is.... meh. The basics are there, but it seems to just endlessly repeat the same points, to no real purpose. This section is structured as a series of very short stories, each a couple of pages long. Aimless' Guitar would work well as a standalone story, but otherwise it's like being beaten over the head repeatedly with something very boring and stupid. If you're thinking about reading this, I'd read the second story only (and I do recommend reading at least that part) and give the rest of it a miss.I want to like bizarro. I truly do. I just don't see why putting in effort to write and refine a story should be seen as somehow going against the tenets of the genre.************From my progress updates: The second story's a lot more... mature & coherent than the first. Yeah. Wow. I just described a story set entirely inside an eighty year old crack whore's asshole "mature & coherent".