RubyTombstone

The Beetle
Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith

Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices #1)

Lady of Devices (Magnificent Devices #1) - Shelley Adina I'm going to preface my review by saying that I don't read a lot of YA, so I don't really have much of a benchmark here. From what little I have read though, there is much better fiction for young readers out there than this. That said, once I got to the 70% mark, and the set-up was finally complete, I did enjoy the adventure and the witty faux-Victorian dialogue.What I found it difficult to get past were the two-dimensional characters and the lack of emotional response by the sheltered sixteen year old protagonist to such things as...oh...say your own FATHER committing suicide and... let's see.... oh yeah, killing a man with a laser gun, and hearing his eyeballs frying! I also found the cookie-cutter, girl power feminism to be eye-rollingly heavy handed, although well intentioned. We get it, Shelley - girls can do anything boys can, and Victorian society was terribly sexist.Yeah, it's not this.Lack of depth and emotional realism aside, the central conceit is a good one: Young female protagonist, born to nobility in a fictional Victorian-era London, forced into a life of poverty, using her scientific prowess to lead a band of feisty street urchins and becoming a steampunk Fagin. There is potential in this series, and I would even go so far as to read the sequel to see if it's any better with the set-up already in place. It's a fun, quick read and I expect the next one will come together nicely.