RubyTombstone

Richard Marsh
Wreck This Journal
Keri Smith

A Village After Dark

A Village After Dark - Kazuo Ishiguro I listened to this being read and discussed by [a:Ben Marcus|52218|Ben Marcus|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1304899384p2/52218.jpg] via The New Yorker's Fiction Podcast, and I'm very glad that I did. Had I read this on its own, I doubt that I would have spared the energy to really consider the depth and possibilities that make up this intriguing little story. Taking the time to ponder all the possible meanings is absolutely essential to enjoying this story. Seriously - if you don't like stories that can have multiple interpretations, this is not for you. Ishiguro leaves a lot open to interpretation here. Ben Marcus and The New Yorker’s fiction editor, Deborah Treisman, are really able to tease out the possibilities and some of the more subtle messaging, as well as giving some context to Ishiguro's writing. I feel that I've learned something about Marcus' own writing having listened to this too. It's about a 40minute podcast, available for free here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/2011/09/26/110926on_audio_marcusHighly recommended.